How did Session do against the run this week? Where was Clark in the first half? Well I have the tape and got an early start thanks to CBS switching away from the game mid third quarter. Here is every play of the first half for both Session and Clark.
Topic 1: Where was Dallas Clark in the first half?
- 1st-10 Clark in-line. Run opposite Clarks side. Dallas lets OLB take a wide path around him, out of the play, gives him a little shove when he tries to turn back to the play. 1 yard gain
- 2nd-9 Clark in-line. Pass. Clark gets a clean release off the line. Peyton goes deep to Reggie Wayne. Incomplete.
- 3rd-9 Clark in-line. Pass. Clark stays in to pass block. Rushers stunt inside leaving Clark with no one to block. Sack.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Run away from Clark's side. Gain of 1
- 2nd-8 Clark in slot. Quick pass to Marvin, dropped.
- 3rd-8 Clark in-line. Stays in to pass block. Two rushers for Diem and Clark to take. Diem takes the outside one, leaving Clark with no one to block and a rusher with a straight path to Peyton. Peyton completes to Reggie Wayne for 10 as he's being hit.
- 1st-10 Clark in-line. Ravens only bring 3 rushers. Clark stands around with no one to block. Peyton deep pass to Marvin, TD.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Run to Clark's side. Clark seals off LOLB Jarrett Johnson until Rhodes is by. Gain of 6.
- 2nd-4 Clark in slot. Pass. Clark runs deep route. Reggie curls underneath and Peyton hits Wayne for the first down.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Motions into a wingback spot. Run away from Clarks side. Good block, keeps the LOLB out of the play.
- 2nd-11 Clark in-line. Clean release. Peyton rolls away from his side and hits an open Wayne for a 1st down.
- 1st-10 Clark in-line. Run to Clark's side. Clark keeps his man outside. Runs goes inside of him. Gain of 3.
- 2nd-7 Clark in-line. Stays in to pass block. DE pushes through Clark and a one arm worth of help from Diem to pressure Peyton. Throws to Gonzo for a gain of 6.
- 3rd-1 Clark in-line. Inside run away from Clark's side. Clark keeps the LOLB out of the play. Hart gains the hardest fought 2 yards ever.
- 1st-10 Clark in-line. Run up the middle. Clark cutblocks Suggs. Suggs holds back making Clark miss his legs. Suggs gets no push into the line, but Clark laying on the ground in front of him keeps Charlie Johnson from being able to get to Suggs who meets Dom at the line for no gain.
- 2nd-10 Clark in-line. Stays in to pass block. Picks up a late blitz well. Incomplete deep to Marvin.
- 3rd-10 Clark in the backfield to Peyon's right. He stays in to block. He isn't needed and Peyton goes deep to Reggie for a TD.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Play action, deep pass to Wayne. Incomplete
- 2nd-10 4 wide with Clark in slot. Run away from Clark's side. Gain of 2.
- 3rd-8 CBS to busy showing highlights from last years game to show the start of the play. 7 yard pass to Gonzo.
- FG Vinny
- 1st-10 Clark in-line, clean release. Dumpoff to Hart who gets a first then hurts his knee.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Run up the middle. Tries to get an ILB, but doesn't get a good block
- 2nd-10 Clark in slot. Runs a quick out. Marvin goes upfield. Peyton misses Marv.
- False start Gonzo. Dallas was in the backfield
- 3rd-15 Clark in-line. Draw. Clark runs downfield past two LBs. Doesn't block either. DL stops Dom for a gain off one.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Holding on Gijon.
- 1st-20 Clark in slot. Play Action. Quick pass to Wayne who is cutting straight down the line of scrimmage. Clark goes outside at the snap and blocks the CB covering Wayne.10 yard gain.
- 2nd-10 4 wide with Clark and Gijon in slot. 2 yard pass on an out to Gijon.
- 3rd-8 Clark in-line. Stays in to pass block. Good blocking from Clark and the left side. Incomplete deep to Marvin.
- 1st-10 Clark in slot. Run away from his side. Blocks a safety that was in the box.
- 2nd-10 Clark in slot. Run away from his side. Dom breaks a tackle, gets to the outside, picks up blocks from Clark, Gijon, Clark again and Jamey Richard.
- 1st-10 Clark in-line. Run away from his side. Keeps a LB out of the play. No gain.
- 2nd-10 Clark in-line. Run to his side. Opens up a nice hole for Dom to cut inside of. Gain of 8.
- 3rd-2 Clark in-line. Stays in to pass block. Forces a blitzer wide out of the play. Touchdown on a slant to Marvin.
- Kneel down
Clark wasn't a factor in the passing game, because the Colts ran the ball often and when they did pass they often kept Clark into block. Clark spent a lot of time in-line and showed some good run blocking. His blocking oftentimes isn't pretty but he almost always keeps his assignment away from the play. Pass blocking was more mixed. He handled speed rushes very well, but got bulled through and was often left with no one to block after the tackle took the outermost rusher.
Topic 2: Did Clint Session finally put it together on the strong side?
- 1st-10 Run play to Session's side. Sessions takes on the fullback in the backfield and holds his ground, forcing the play back inside. Gain of 3.
- 2nd-7 Play Action rollout. Session bites a bit, but keeps outside of Flaco before dropping back into coverage out of the picture. Flaco throws the ball away.
- 3rd-7 Sessions off the field in dime package
- 1st-10 Run away from Session's side. Session driven back from intial spot 1 yard off the line, but disengages a few yards deep andstarts pursuit. Run goes wide outside for 5 yards. Jennings tackle.
- 2nd-5 McGahee run to Session's side. McClain and a pulling guard lead blocking. Session flies up and decks the outside blocker McClain. Put the FB on his ass. Took both himself and the blocker totally out of the play. No gain.
- 3rd-5 Nickel or Dime package, no sign of Session on the field
- Gets first high five for Bullitt after his huge ST tackle.
- 1st-10 Pass, Sack by Brock. Session back in coverage.
- 2nd-17 Play Action. Session takes a quick bite then drops back mirroring the RB as he starts his route. Pass to opposite side. Gain of 7.
- 3rd-11 Draw, fumbled handoff.
- 1st-10 Pass. Session drops back. Thrown to Clayton in front of Session who makes the tackle right away 6 yard gain, 0 YAC.
- 2nd-4 Play Action right, screen left. Session on the right side bites on the play action then gets across the field quickly. McClain fumbles directly into Keiaho's hands. Keiaho is wrapped up quickly, but tries to hand it to Session. They fumble the exchange, but Colts recover.
- Pre snap confusion on who was suppose to be on which side between Sessions and Bullitt. Brackett sorts it out without taking his eyes off the offense. Sessions was right.
- 1st-10 run away from Session's side. Session dodges a block and comes up to gang tackle the cutback for a gain of one.
- 2nd-9 Pass to McGahee over the middle. Sessions tries to dive past a blocker at McGahee's feet and misses. Gain of 8.
- 3rd-1 QB sneak. Session dives on top of the pile, killing any second effort. A favorable (but not awful) spot gives the Ravens a 1st down.
- 1st-10 Pass. dumpoff to Neal dropped. Session responds quickly. He would have been there to make a quick tackle if it had been caught.
- 2nd-10 Draw away from Session. He drops at the snap and gets blocked trying to pursue.
- 3rd-8 Session off for extra DBs. Complete down the middle for 1st down.
- 1st-10 Lines up over slot WR. Quick pass incomplete to other side.
- Dawson in neutral zone play doesn't count. It was a draw away from Session. He read it quick and was around to clean up McGahee after Dawson tripped him up.
- 2nd-5 Screen pass away from Session
- 1st-10 Run away from Session, cut back and Session is there keeping contain to tackle him for a loss of a yard.
- 2nd-11 Nickel package. Sessions out. Brackett blows up a draw in the backfield.
- 3rd-12 Dime package, Mathis sack
- 1st-10 Quick pass away from Sessions side. 1 yard gain.
- 2nd-9 Pass. Deep downfield, picked by Beh-THAY.
- 1st-10 Run away from Session, cut into middle. Session sitsback waiting for the RB to break outside or come through the hole. Ready to make the play, but didn't give up his contain responciblity.
- 2nd-11 Nickel package, no Session. Run of 5.
- 3rd-6 NIckel again. Dumpoff for 4 yards.
- 1st-10 Nickel package, one yard run
- 2nd-9 Dime package, FF by Mathis
- 3rd-14 Dime package, dumpoff for 9 yards
Sessions played very well. He made a few very good plays and only one real mistake, where he dove and missed to trying to make a play instead of taking on a blocker. Session seemed to know and stick with his assignment. He lined up on the strong side furthest outside of the LBs, ranging between over a 3rd WR to a shade outside the OT. If he keeps playing like this Hagler will have to take the job from him and Session won't hear Wheeler's footsteps behind him this week.