1) Dallas Clark is the best TE in the NFL.
2) Larry Coyer is the biggest addition for the Colts this season.
3) Kyle DeVan was a upgrade over Pollack, but the O-line is still struggling and I don't know why.
4) Pat McAfee is the biggest reason our special teams is better this season.
5) I hate the roof being open for 1pm games in The Luke.
My explanation after the jump.
1) Dallas Clark is THE MAN. Plain and simple. As much as I despised Solomon Wilcocks calling the game, He made some great points about Clark needing to know SO many parts and pieces of the offense and executing them so well. It's more than any other TE in the game does or could handle. We all like to joke about his manner in front of the cameras, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
2) I LOVE that by the end of the 1st quarter the Moo Cows had more offensive plays run than yards. The transformation has been amazing to watch. The pressure comes from the blitzes at smart moments (see Gary Brackett Blitz leading to Session INT) and in ways that still keep us in good position to make plays. It is a total mockery that people do not speak about his work the same way they praise Mike Nolan in Denver. How's that working out after the Baltimore game last week? Again, I take Coyer without hesitation.
3) I was glad to see Kyle in the starting lineup as the game kicked off today. He was much less noticeable than Pollack. That is the KEY for O-Linemen watching the game the first time. Going back I may see some things I don't like, but on first watch I am pleased with his play. That being said, I have no idea why the running game can't look like it did in the 4th all game long. Once we got the ball and the lead, the line started sealing blocks and opening holes. It looks like they lack motivation to seal things off and then a switch gets flipped. I have never seen anything like it and cannot explain it. Help me if you can!
4) I have been watching/listening to(back when our games used to be blacked out locally) the Colts for nearly 20 years now. I cannot remember a season when kick-offs have been consistently deeper and punt coverage has had this much time to get down the field. Watch video from the past few years. Even when the Colts had a KO "Specialist" the kicks came down at the 5 or so on average. The extra 9 yards of time the kick into the endzone gives is a huge reason why our ST coverage is getting better.
5) Our team is built around offense. Our offense is built around timing. Anything that hinders that is a problem for me. The roof open at the stadium has made a couple of receivers lose the ball in the sun and limits the size of the field that Peyton and the offense can use. As neat as it is to have the option of opening the roof, I feel it is more a novelty than useful. Not only do we lose some of the advantage of sound like we have in the RCA Dome, but we also cause our team to have to work around sun in certain areas of the field. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Good game, good win. Refer to the post about why close games are good for the soul article. Big week coming up here but I don't need to tell all of you that. GO HORSE!!!