The Colts are expected not to use their franchise tag this year, even to buy extra negotiation time like was done with Dallas Clark and Dwight Freeney. The Colts will attempt to get a deal done with Brackett without the tag. John Clayton puts the still in negotiation deal in the range of 7+ mil a year for the long term. Around the league however there's lots of tag activity.
- Steelers get a contract done with NT Casey Hampton freeing their tag for use on kicker Jeff Reed
- Texans will decline to tag CB Dunta Robinson
Raiders tag DE Richard Seymour at a cost of 12.4 million, though the alternative was losing the player they gave their 2011 1st rounder for after just one year.
- Packers tag NT Ryan Pickett
- Saints will let S Darren Sharper hit the market rather than retaining him with their tag
- Panthers pass on a 21 million dollar tag of Julius Peppers
- The Seahawks franchise tag a kicker... again. Olindo Mare this time.
- NT Aubrayo Franklin is tagged by the Niners
- Vince Wilfork is under the tag, but the Patriots are reportedly close to a new deal with him.
The deadline to apply tags is 4pm eastern today.