For all intent and purposes, today is the last real day of training camp at the University of Anderson for the 2010 Indianapolis Colts. While a practice is scheduled for tomorrow, it will likely be more of a light walk through to prepare for Thursday's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.
Today, there are two practices scheduled. One was earlier this morning at 9:30am and the other is the third and final night scrimmage for this camp. If you have not attended camp, I highly recommend tonight's night scrimmage. Camp is much different, and more fan-friendly, than an actual game (preseason or otherwise).
At this morning's practice was Coltzilla's Brett Mock, along with a few other people. Here's what they saw:
- Practice in shorts today. No pads. I have to admit, after watching a preseason game, practicing in shorts has lost a bit of its luster. I'm sure Taj Smith looked great running around in them, but football is played in pads, not shorts.
- Despite the lack of pads, drills were "aggressive."
- Speaking of Taj Smith, he Tweeted today: "1 who learns how 2 control his thinking learns how 2 control his destiny. Nothing can save us but ourselves." I will add to this with a saying of my own, "1 who learns to catch the ball when it's thrown to him earn him a roster spot on the team. 1 who doesn't is going 2 get his @ss cut."
- Lots of extra reps for Tom Hiller today. We should expect to see a ton of him this Thursday at quarterback. Apparently, he needs the extra time. Gary Brackett picked him off in practice.
- Ryan Diem, Pierre Garcon, Dallas Clark, Kyle DeVan, Jaimie Thomas, Bob Sanders, and Donye` McCleskey all sat out. DeVan had a wrap on his leg, presumably because of his hamstring injury. Second year lineman Jaimie Thomas in a walking boot. Offensive line is 'walking wounded.'
- One bright spot for o-line today: Jacques McClendon practiced.
- Sam Giguere dropped more passes today.
- Ray Fisher practiced with the second team. Brandon King practiced with the third team.
- Interesting moment involved Peyton Manning getting pissy with Jacob Tamme, who is filling in for Clark. Tamme lined up wrong. Manning no like.
- Deshea Townsend looked good in coverage today.
- Today's crowd was the smallest, by far, at Anderson since camp opened. I guess since preseason started, and the fans have finally seen the team in action somewhat, their football fix is satisfied... at least for a little while.