Yes, the colts lost. Yes, it looked ugly. But take heart, it's only game 1 and everything is fixable. There were too many penalties and sloppy play. Again, both fixable. The run d looked aweful in the second half, the running game was nonexistant (although towards the end they couldn't afford to run) and the line could block or protect manning very well. Okay, now to the bright side: They were only a handful of plays from winning this game! Every big play the colts had was brought back by a flag, or that's what it seemed like. The plays we normally make we didn't execute.
1. gonzo catch when he barely was out of bounds. If he was in bounds, that's a first down.
2. Two drops by garcon, both for first downs. Let's just say he catches one of those, that's another first down.
3. the kick return for a td.
4. downing the ball at the 1, but was taken out to the 20 bc of pentalty
5. collie fumble. when will he ever do that again?
6. the onside kick when the texans called a time out.
i know there are more, but i can't think of them right now.
If the colts make these plays or there is no penalty on it, i think the colts still could have won this game even with the bad d in the second half and no protection for manning. It also didn't help that sanders got hurt. I think that deflated the d a little bit.
on the oline: Saturday and Johnson were playing hurt and didn't have any reps before the season started. I dont care who you are, the line is not going to play well when two key line players haven't played. I expect it to get better. Charlie is still hurting and i give him a lot of respect for playing through his injury and going up against one of the better defensive players in the league.
the sky is not falling. Yes, they looked bad, but this team has responded when faced with adversity. I expect the colts to correct these things and come out looking like the colts we all know next week vs the giants. It's only week 1, they'll fix it.