Here's a thought; why don't the Colts swap to a 3-4 next off-season? I would love to see the chin (Bill Cowher) be here in Indy. Bare with me here... We move Jerry Hughes to 3-4 OLB and Drake Nevis to DE keeping Freeney at DE as well, meanwhile we draft Manti Te'o to fill out the other ILB spot next to Angerer. Also we draft Alameda Ta'amu to solidify the NT role. The set up would look something like this:
- This would allow us to save some money and let Mathis walk (BLASPHEMY) if he is willing to play OLB for a reasonable price that would be swell. My gut's telling me he'd go somewhere else like the Patriots.
- Freeney would have to bulk up and accept a new role.
- With an EFFECTIVE blitzing scheme our corners wouldn't have to cover for nearly as long. We have been leaning towards man cover corners as of late, which would be ideal for a 3-4.
- Also, we could go out and get LaRon Landry in Free Agency; he has plenty of experience in a 3-4 scheme and would be bring a physical play style not seen since
Richard SimmonsBob Sanders was here.
- As I stated earlier I'd love to see a defensive minded coach land in Indy. Someone like Bill Cowher, Dick Lebeau, Chuck Pagano, Rob Ryan, Mike Zimmer (4-3), etc.
- Mike Zimmer seems to be the most likely because the least amount of change would be made to our current roster, but I'm for change... clearly.
- I will admit there are plenty of flaws, one being I don't see how we could snag both Manti Te'o and Alameda Ta'amu in next years draft without heavy draft day trading.