After Bill Polian's meltdown on the radio following the Colts now-infamous handling of the Week Sixteen game against the New York Jets in 2009, the Colts have blocked the call-in radio program named 'The Bill Polian Show' from Internet listeners. This show features Colts vice chairman Bill Polian, and it allows regular Colts fans to call-in and ask him questions which he, frequently, gets annoyed answering. It is the only Colts content that is not streamed live on the net. Thus, because Colts fans outside the Indianapolis area cannot listen in on the show, we provide highlights from the program, which often include Bill Polian saying things he later claims he did not say. However, since the Colts and Mr. Polian do not provide fans or media with recordings of the show, you'll just have to take our word that what we write below is indeed what Mr. Polian actually said. Hope you enjoy.
Stampede Blue live-tweets the highlights while the show is happening.You can follow Stampede Blue on Twitter at @stampedeblue.
Welcome to this week's installment of Bill Polian's foot meeting Bill Polian's mouth. This week, the Colts vice chairman decided to use his weekly call-in radio show to take a shot at his punter, praise the play of his 32nd ranked defense, admit error in thinking Curtis Painter can play quarterback, and say that his 'fervent hope is that Jim [Caldwell]'s job is not in jeopardy.'
All kinds of Polian silliness was on display this week, folks, and because I've been late in getting you updates the last two weeks, we present you the recap... now!
- Polian said that, against the Ravens, the Colts showed 'marked improvement' on defense. All players, save the defensive tackles, played well on D. Polian also repeatedly praise new defensive coordinator Mike Murphy.
- Playing rookie tackle Anthony Castonzo one-on-one with Terrell Suggs was a mistake, Polian said.
- As banged up as secondary is, Polian said he was proud of how well defense has played.
- Polian praised the Colts effort and hustle against the Ravens. Guess he watched a different game than the one Baltimore Sun writer Mike Preston saw.
- Polian praised rookie safety Joe Lefged for his coverage and his return duties.
- The Colts have 'a lot of good young players.' - Bill Polian.
- Polian said both Robert Mathis and Pat Angerer should get voted to the Pro Bowl.
- When asked by, I believe, host Bob Lamey as to what the team needs to do to improve, Polian said the offense must clean-up the offensive line play and they must run the ball more. Offense does not have 'big play' type players, like in the past.
- As part of the 'what needs to improve,' Polian singled out punter Pat McAfee and said he must get better as a directional and strategic punter. McAfee didn't seem to take kindly to Polian's criticism, and his response is here.
- Another week, another show where Bill Polian said Donald Brown played well. He had 28 yards at 3.1 a carry against the Ravens.
- Polian: I'm 'heartened' by how well the defense played. Polian then noted that the coaches apparently weren't so happy. The defense did surrender 24 points before the Ravens offense let up in the fourth quarter. Polian also said the Colts 'won the second half.' For him, this shows that the team has 'good young players.'
- Answering a caller, Polian said he expects Darren Evans to play more, though not as a kick returner. Polian thinks Evans is too slow to return kicks.
- A caller said the Polian himself was the 'No. 1 reason' the Colts are 0-13.' He then asked if the Colts planned to change their back-up QB policy going forward. Polian answered that the front office thought Curtis Painter could step in and do the job if Peyton went down. However, the Colts made a 'poor judgment' on Curtis Painter. 'I take responsibility for that,' Polian said.
- FYI, back in October, Polian was crowing about Painter's play.
- Polian: It makes me feel bad that good players and good coaches are suffering on the Colts because of decisions we made in the front office.
- Polian said that had Colts known Peyton would miss the 2011 season, they would have drafted a QB in the first round in the 2011 NFL Draft. Polian chose not to say the name, but added if he did say it, fans would recognize the player. To me, it sounded like he meant Andy Dalton.
- Polian: The next backup QB CANNOT run same offense Peyton Manning does when he plays.
- Polian said the Colts were planning to draft T.J. Yates in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Texans took him earlier. Polian said that the Colts should have taken Yates earlier. Ironically, Houston drafted Yates in the 5th Round using the draft pick the Colts sent to the Washington Redskins in the trade for Ben Ijalana. Ijalana has bee out since Week Four with a knee injury.
- Polian: 'I'm confident that this season is an aberration.'
- Polian: I'm happy with our 2011 draft. 'We got five really good players.'
- Polian praised the play of Colts linebackers. Said Philip Wheeler, Kavell Conner, and Pat Angerer are 'as good as any we've had' in Indy. I guess that's nice knowing you, Garry Brackett.
- Drake Nevis might be 'keystone' to build defensive line around, said Polian.
- Polian said the Colts need to get better along the front and need more efficient play at corner.
- Polian said that if the Colts draft a QB in the first round next year, and that QB plays, the Colts 'will struggle.' FYI: The Colts are currently 0-13.
- Interesting moment occurred when a caller asked Polian if a 'healthy Peyton Manning' was the 'ideal situation' for the Colts in 2012. Polian then chose not to answer the question. Instead, he said that, 'We don't know what all the options are.'
- Polian refused to comment on Andrew Luck even though Luck even though A) He's commented on Luck before on his radio show, and B) Luck has announced he will enter the NFL Draft. Polian also chose to take a few shots at 'draft gurus.'
- Bob Kravitz tweeted this during Polian's show: Yo, Bill Polian, Andrew Luck is coming out. He announced it. Signed, a guru/wiseman. Sorry, he's such an ass.
- A caller asked Polian if Caldwell will be fired and then asked why it took so long to go with Dan Orlovsky at quarterback. Polian responded, 'My fervent hope is that Jim's job is not in jeopardy because my fervent hope is that we don't go 0-16, and we're doing everything we can to try and avoid that.'
- Polian then said the coaches made the decision to bench Painter. For Polian, Painter's play was 'really pretty good' in his first four games
Thanks to all those who followed along tonight. You can follow along too @stampedeblue.