We've had quite a run on Quarterbacks in the first 12 picks of the NFL Draft, and two of them will call the AFC South home. It started at pick number 8 when the Titans drafted Jake Locker of Washington, a surprise pick as many had Missouri's Blaine Gabbert much higher than Locker. I guess we really can say the Vince Young era is over.
Then the Jaguars decided to jump from pick 16 to pick 10, trading with the Redskins, to go get Gabbert, who many thought would be drafted by the Redskins themselves. The Jaguars gave up their second round pick, as well as the pick at #16, to draft Gabbert. I'm not sure how David Garrard, or even Jack Del Rio is feeling right now, but I'm guessing they aren't all smiles. Del Rio was kept on as Head Coach when they really should have parted ways, so he must win immediately to keep his job.
Also in the AFC South, the Texans drafted Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt, joining Mario Williams on a formidable defensive line to go after Peyton Manning. This pick could help Bill Polian decide where to go (offensive line please). They could have taken Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara, who is still on the board at pick 17, to help out their dreadful pass defense, but they decided to try and get to the QB instead.
The biggest trade that has occurred was the Falcons jumping all the way up to pick #6 from 27 to draft Alabama WR Julio Jones. They had to give up their 2nd and 4th round picks this year, and their 2012 first and fourth round picks. They clearly think they can win immediately, so why not go for the jugular. Also, the Lions drafted Auburn DT Nick Fairley to play with Ndamukong Suh. That is quite the D-line.
Complete list of picks after the jump.
7. San Francisco 49ers: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
8. Tennessee Titans: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Redskins): Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
11. Houston Texans: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
12. Minnesota Vikings: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
13. Detroit Lions: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
14. St. Louis Rams: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
15. Miami Dolphins: Mike Pouncey, G, Florida
16. Washington Redskins (from Jaguars): Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England Patriots: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado