After reading through some of the replies to my comments about Kerry Collins (most seem to support the idea that he has been a decent starter for most of the teams he's played for), I want to know who here truly thinks Kerry Collins has been a good QB over the length of his career?
I find him to be the worst QB of the last 20 years who has consistently been given starting jobs.
Since the start of his career in 1995:
- He's had 11 seasons where he started at least 11 games.
- He’s only thrown for more than 20 TDs 3 times, with a career high of 22.
- He has 7 seasons where he threw for more INTs than TDs.
- He has started for 4 playoff teams.
- Out of 7 playoff games he has started, he only has 2 games with a QB rating over 83.
- In his one Superbowl appearance, he was 15-39, 112 yds, 0 TDs, 4 INTs, 7.9 rating (yes I realize it was against the dominant Ravens defense)
- In 1998 he quit on his team after 4 games because they started 0-4
This guy is pretty much the complete opposite of everything we have become accustomed to over the last 10-12 years. Show me one other QB in the last 20 years with numbers this overwhelmingly mediocre who has been given this many starting gigs.
And yes, I'd rather keep the locker room content and throw Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky out there in an emergency than sign this bum for $4 million this season (which should have gone towards more depth on the o-line/safety) and have players speaking out against the move, creating dissent in the locker room.