Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports
Joel Thorman at Arrowhead Pride answers our questions about the Chiefs, including one about a certain #18.
1) There were some people (myself included) that though the Chiefs would take the next step this season and compete for a Playoff spot. What exactly went wrong?
If I had to sum it up in one word, I'd say turnovers. I could point to the coach, the quarterback, deficiencies at certain positions and things like that but, really, the Chiefs just turned it over at an incredible rate. It got to the point where it was almost comical how much they turned it over. Turnovers by game, through the first eight games; 3, 3, 3, 6, 4, 2, 4, 4. !!! That's crazy. They've come back to Earth a little bit in the second half of the season but turnovers are the biggest culprit. And the biggest turnover culprit was Matt Cassel. It's not good when your quarterback throws twice as many picks as touchdowns, right?
2) Brady Quinn has only started NFL games with Romeo Crennel as his Head Coach. He's obviously struggled mightily this season. Will anyone else give him a shot after this season?
Yeah he'll get a backup role. He's one of those guys that'll probably be around the league for a while as a backup. He's a smart guy. He doesn't mouth off. He seems to work hard. That smells like a 10-year career as a backup.
3) Who among the coaching staff and Front Office will actually be around next season?
Who knows? The vast majority of people think GM Scott Pioli and head coach Romeo Crennel will both be fired. But no one in the media has shown to have a really good sense of what Clark Hunt is going to do. So I really have no idea what will happen. You can take a look at the record -- the Chiefs' has been declining the last three years -- and take a guess. But there's no solid evidence suggesting they're gone besides the connecting-the-dots stuff.
4) How does it feel having to play against Peyton Manning twice a year now rather than just once every couple of years?
It's awful. Simply awful. The Chiefs owner said at one point last summer that he wanted the Chiefs to pursue Manning, which got everyone all worked up. Of course it didn't work out. Then Manning goes on to the Chiefs division rival. I couldn't imagine him going to a worse team for the Chiefs. On top of all that, he looks pretty damn good again.
5) Who will be the Chiefs starting QB Week 1 of 2013?
He's not on the roster. There's a chance that the Chiefs will have turn over at all three quarterback spots. I'll say it's a draft pick and because it's only December I'll say Geno Smith. Really, though, I don't know who that will be.