Last night during the sprint that was the first round of the draft. Colts GM Ryan Grigson and New Head Coach Chuck Pagano both stepped up to the mic for the Indy media. Video is linked below.
Things I took away from Grigson's comments:
- Colts playbook will be delivered via iPad and telecommunication, but not until he graduates Stanford.
- Luck is confident, but not arrogant.
- Grigson wants to protect the QB and put things around him to be productive.
- Grigson is interested in good players, regardless of position.
- Luck doesn't remind Grigson of anyone. Once in a decade player.
- Grigson is all about the tape. Seems to trust that over "measurables."
- Luck will not have a say in the rest of the draft.
Take away from Pagano's comments:
- Pagano says Luck is the best football player in the draft.
- Luck will be in Indy for the rookie mini-camp this weekend.
- Scheme will be put in to protect and develop Luck.
- Pagano still wants to run and stop the run. No 40 - 45 pass attempt games.
- Priority #1 with the draft is to protect Andrew.
- The team with not slow things down for Andrew. He will get all that he can handle.
- The defensive schemes on third down will be the hardest thing for Luck to adjust to in the pros.
Also as a first this year, fans of some teams got to take part in a google hangout with their teams first draft choice. The video of the hangout with #12 is up on Colts.com as well.
As a side note, we have heard so much from Irsay this off-season, I think it's nice to just hear from Grigson and Pagano here. Maybe Irsay is stepping back a bit now that we've gotten to the "football" part of the season.