Jim Irsay. Evaluating his Colts team. On Twitter. This should be interesting.
Franchise is taking shape..3rd Receiver and 2nd Corner must emerge..much progress in Free Agency n Draft...Def Front 7 could impress new 3-4— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) May 15, 2012
The Indianapolis Star's Mike Chappell has already opined on Mr. Irsay's latest non-insane Tweet, breaking down the owner's roster priorities, at (what I assume is) his blog over at IndyStar.com called The Dean.
- The Colts need a 1st corner to emerge, as well as a 2nd and 3rd. I like Jerraud Powers, but he isn't reliable. He's only played in the league for three years, and already he's missed 14 games. He has yet to play an entire 16-game season. Brittle player. Can't stay healthy.
- If T.Y. Hilton doesn't emerge as the 3rd receiver, Ryan Grigson will look a bit foolish trading up to get him in the 3rd round, especially considering they had so many needs on defense. Irsay is already on record as saying Hilton is a slot receiver (aka, 3rd receiver).
- Maybe I'm just a defeatist, but Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner don't exactly WOW me as inside, 3-4 linebackers. I don't think Conner has ever played on the inside, and both he and Angerer have issues in coverage. Both are also on the small side (Conner is 6'0, 242 lbs while Anger is 6'0, 235 lbs). Compare this with Pagano's inside linebackers last year in Baltimore. Jameel McClain is 6'1, 245 lbs while Ray Lewis is 6'1, 250 lbs. Short, speedy backers work for a Tampa-2. They don't work in this defense.
- Irsay's tweet should finally shut-up the morons who keep insisting the Colts aren't switching to a base 3-4 scheme on defense. "It's a hybrid defense! Not a 3-4!" Note: "Hybrid" is a euphemism for "We aren't good enough to play the defense I want. Ergo, we'll do something in between."
- If the front seven does not "impress" in 2012, who is to blame? Chuck Pagano? Ryan Grigson? Greg Manusky? See now why I keep talking about Manusky being upset over the lack of defensive players selected in the draft? When the team's owner is tweeting out stuff like that, the notion that it's OK for the defense to stink this season should be laughed at.