ANDERSON, IN - JULY 29: Andrew Luck #12 and Chandler Harnish #8 of the Indianapolis Colts work out during training camp at Anderson University on July 29, 2012 in Anderson, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
This post is a compilation of notes and opinions from several fans and people in the media who attended this day of Colts training camp.
You'll have to forgive me. Between the news of Andy Reid's son and the apparent hate crime shooting in Wisconsin yesterday, it was very hard to focus on football. In fact, at around 8:00pm ET, I simply stopped paying attention and tuned off the Internet for a while. I didn't even watch the Hall of Fame game. That's why this report is late. Hope you understand.
- Andrew Luck bounced back with a better practice Sunday, though in a manner that can only be described as "Peyton-like," he wasn't happy going 28-41 overall with five TDs and no picks. Luck missed Reggie Wayne on some sideline throws that looked off. As many in camp joked, not to shabby having another "off" day and throwing 5 TDs.
- Some fans are making a big deal out of tracking stats at camp. These people need to relax. The stat tracking is to monitor progress. If a guy is struggling to throw to people in glorified flag football drills, he will likely struggle when the games become real. Thus, tracking stats at camp. In Luck's case, he's been outstanding. Rookie QBs are not supposed to be this polished this early in the process.
Donnie Avery, who has looked impressive for the first week of camp, injured himself on a reception Sunday. Chuck Pagano said Avery's injury, which was to his thigh, was nothing serious. The injury occurred after Avery twisted himself to haul in a 45-yard TD from Drew Stanton.
- Interesting tweet from Mike Chappell:
- Chandler Harnish had a rough day. He was picked twice by CB Brandon King. Drew Stanton also struggled.
- S Tom Zbikowski and CB Justin King were held out of practice with "soft-tissue" injuries. Chuck Pagano described the move as precautionary. Both are expected back at Monday's 1:50 PM ET practice.
- Robert Mathis showed some impressive coverage ability in LB-TE drills. He dropped and hooked his hip to Coby Fleener on one play, making an interception. However, a little later, Andre Smith (or Dwayne Allen, cannot determine) beat him for an easy TD.
- Staying on the LB-TE drills, Dominique Jones beat Kavell Conner and made juggling catch in end zone for a TD.
- Chandler Harnish saw time as a holder on field goals.
- In one drill, Reggie Wayne caught a quick slant, but Jerraud Powers forced him to fumble. Powers recovered the fumble.
- Several family members of the team have attended training camp. Oliver Luck was there last week, and yesterday Chuck Pagano's father was in attendance.
If you were at camp and saw something worth noting, pop some text into the comments below.