I was watching the senior bowl with the Colts first round draft pick in mind to see if anyone looked worthy of the 24th pick. Here are some tidbits I picked up from watching and listening to the NFL game crew:
- Ziggy Ansah was the best player on the field. He was constantly disrupting plays and forced a fumble tracking down the QB. He had not played well in practice all week and there was thought he was sliding to late first round. He is a top 15 pick easy. He has long strides and covers a ton of ground. Will not be around at 24.
- I was hoping the QB's would stand out so that they could suck up some picks preceding ours. No luck (literally and figuratively). Those being considered in round 1 in some Mock drafts (Glennon, Jones and Wilson) all looked inaccurate and indecisive except for a few throws by Glennon. I don't think a team needs to use a 1 on any of these guys and that hurts the Colts.
- Defensive line- Short from Purdue looked outstanding. He had to be double teamed but it took until the 4th quarter for them to figure that out. Prior to that he was in the backfield quite a bit, moved down the line shedding blocks well and overall looked like he is in mix at 24 assuming he can play NG. Sylvester Williams from NC had very productive day too and is in mix. Jonathan Jenkins from Georgia played but did not make much noise. He is an NG but did not show well.
- Offensive line- Fischer is a stud tackle and probably will be top 10. Unfortunately, Lane Johnson was great (runs sub 5 40) and will definitely be gone by 24. Howie Longs kid at guard looks like a house but is raw and not a 1st rounder. He will not be there in 3rd either as he has great upside. Warford is a workhorse. He played pretty well and it was mentioned he grades out in 3rd. He seems to have a bit of nasty about him which is good.
- WR did not show well partly because of the qbs. No one stood out. Q Patton was getting rave reviews from practice but is not a first rounder. Terrence Williams who may be a first rounder did not do anything special. Again, QB's not great so it is not a good measure. One player who reminded me of Collie was Conner Vernon from Duke- open all day even without top speed and caught everything in his range. Late round (6th) potential.
No first round DB's were there, but Poyer and Wreh-wilson looked solid for later rounds. May not make it to late 3rd.
After seeing Lane Johnson, he is the guy I hope falls but he is so fast and athletic, I don't think he will get to us. Would have like to see Vaccaro but he opted out.