FB: Stanley Havili
P: Pat McAfee
L: Matt Overton
Notes (previous guess here):
- Yes, the Colts will keep three QBs. They did so last year.
- LaVon Brazill is suspended for the first four games of the 2013 NFL season. During that time, he is NOT part of the 53-man roster.
- Outside of Whalen, no other second or third unit wide receivers have stood out. I think David Reed makes the squad because they just traded for him, but after that I don't see anyone else making the 53. That spot could be filled by a waiver claim.
- The offensive line is a mess. Joe Reitz isn't a tackle. Keeping him is a wasted roster spot. I'd prefer them cut Mike McGlynn because he's even more terrible than Reitz, but the Colts have what seems to be a $1.9 million dollar cap hit against them whether McGlynn is on the team or not. Thus, he stays.
- Mario Harvey, Ceasar Rayford, and Larry Asante all played well in the third preseason game. All three have been anywhere from solid to spectacular in camp. They've earned roster spots.
- Delano Howell is younger and has more upside than Joe Lefeged, who has been hurt all preseason. Lefeged gets dumped. Howell and Assante earn the back-up safety jobs.
- Donald Brown earns a spot after a very solid preseason, including some nice play on special teams. The special teams work was what saved him. Had he failed at that, his runs in preseason wouldn't have mattered. Back-up RBs have to play special teams. It's not even an option.
- My biggest concern is the offensive line, which is alarming considering it was THE NO. 1 PRIORITY for general manager Ryan Grigson this offseason. The problem is many of the players Grigson brought in as free agents the last two years simply aren't that good. Samson Satele is a joke in pass protection, and I'm not sold Gosder Cherilus, who is the highest paid right tackle in all of football.
- The secondary is very strong. Darius Butler is a good slot corner while Davis and Toler offer speed and playmaking ability on the outside. If the pass rush can become consistent, this will be a very difficult tea to throw the ball on.
- See comments below concerning Pat Angerer.