I am going to start with five questions - I already know my opinion and will end with it but would love to get some other fan's logic - okay there really isn't any logic.
1) Do the Colts need to add multiple players to the defensive side of the ball or should we attempt to bring in a few "proven" impact players? Do you think Grigson & Pagano feel like the guys they brought in last year were going to be impact players and they just misjudged or were they upgrading rotational players?
2) Should Manusky be blamed for the inconsistent performance of the defense during the regular season and the atrocious performance during the play-offs? The question is do you think that a different d-coordinator could have gotten better results with the talent on the team?
3) Is it a head coaches job to lie to the fans or does Pagano just wear rose-colored glasses i.e. Chapman is a 900 pound safe dropped in the middle of the line - Landry is a game changer? Would it be better if the coach issued statements that were realistic - Chapman is young and we hope to see him develop into a top flight nose tackle. We are committed to stopping the run and hope this young man can step in and contribute. I have high hopes for him.
4) Should the team be looking to unload Richardson at a fire-sale price? Should Grigson let it be known that a middle round draft pick could land Trich.
5. Does McAfee deserve 3 million a year or would the Colts be better off signing a guy for much less and putting the cash toward an offensive linemen.
I will share my views even though I am sure most folks don't really want to read them.
1) I think who ever pulled the trigger on last years free agent signings had read too many press clippings and went for home runs by signing a bunch of okay players and hoping that if given the opportunity at least a few of them would step up confirm the fact that they had geniuses working for the Colts. While there is no such thing as a sure thing I think the Colts would be better off adding an impact player of need and filling with best available player.
2) It is cheaper to replace the coach then all of the players. Manusky has never been a top d-coordinator and I think the Colts need to bring one in. There are a few out there and they should try to sign one of them while they can.
3) I think Pagano is too optimistic at times and the team and the fans would be better served with a dash of reality.
4) Don't give up on Trich let him go through an off-season as a Colt - evaluate how hard he works - how badly does he want to contribute. Give him a training camp to get comfortable with blocking schemes and the guys in front of him. I still have hope that he will become an integral part of the offense. (Am I being too optimistic?)
5) I would offer Pat a 3 year contract that brings him in as highest paid punter or real close to it. His leg kept the Colts in a couple of games and there is no reason to think he won't be able to maintain that over the next 3 years.
I have been a Colts fan for 50 years and really want to see this team develop into a super bowl team. I will add I like the Colts front office but I am not convinced that this staff can get the team into the super bowl - time will tell. GO COLTS