Let me preface by saying that I think russell wilson is ridicuosly overrated. As we all know, sports fans are extremely hyperbolic, so it's no suprise that people are already considering him "elite" and a few people are saying he's already in the discussion of top 5 QBs. This piece is not supposed to be a Luck vs. Wilson post or a knock on Wilson, I'm just wondering what others' think about wilson. In my opinion he's overrated for 5 main reasons.
1. He has the best defense in the NFL and the best defense I've seen since the 2002 Ravens.
2. He has the second best running back in the NFL and thus is not the focal point of the offense. So, the team doesn't rely on him to win games unlike QBs such as manning, brees, luck, rodgers etc.
3. There may be no stars in his recieving corps, but overall it is an above average recieving corps.
4. When healthy he has a pretty good offensive line.
5. He has a "sexy" style of play
I'd like to address the last point because I'm not sure if I'm the only one who has noticed this. Whenever there is pressure Russell does this dramatic spin out of the pocket and scrambles to the side of the field. Often he completes passes out of the pocket and people such as my roommate drool over how he scrambled away from pressure to complete the pass. However, by running out of the pocket he has essentially cut off half of the field. THis doesn't matter if the recievers are running drag routes or the classic play "levels", but at times by running out of the pocket he limits his options.
Quarterbacks such as Brady, Rodgers, Manning, and Luck have the pocket presence to merely step up in the pocket, buy some time, and allow themselves to get rid of the ball quicker to any part of the field. Moving around in the pocket isn't "sexy" per se, and thus to the untrained eye it gets overlooked, but in my opinion the ability to "feel pressure" is the most underrated quarterback trait. All of this being said, Wilson makes good decisions, is calm and collected on third downs, and appears to be one of the leaders on the NFLs best team.
I may be bias because I've never been a dual-threat QB fan except in video games, so do you agree that he's overrated or am I underrating him?