On Friday afternoon, new Colts head coach Jim Caldwell held a pre-training camp press conference to sort of set the tone heading into camp and to update the media on certain Colts-related topics:
- Colts just completed a three day "workout" with their rookies.
- Longtime assistants Tom Moore and Howard Mudd have indeed returned. They are doing the same jobs they did before. Their titles are Senior Offensive Coordinator and Senior Offensive Line Coach. The "senior" portion of their title enables them to have more "attitude" with their duties, allowing them to delegate more responsibility (if they wish) to other assistant coaches.
- Caldwell praised Clyde Christensen and Pete Metzelaars for filling in for Moore and Mudd throughout the off-season.
- Colts assistant coaches will be available for press interviews on Fridays during camp and during the regular season
- Players who will open camp on PUP: Marlin Jackson (knee), Bob Sanders (knee), Sam Giguere (leg), Antonio Johnson (knee), Charlie Johnson (shoulder), and Adam Vinatieri (hip and knee)
- Vinatieri had hip surtgery this off-season and shortly afterwards had his knee scoped
- Caldwell does not expect currently unsigned draft picks Donald Brown. Fili Moala, or Austin Collie to miss any camp time
- Caldwell made a point to mention two players many expected to be on PUP will indeed practice on Monday: Gary Brackett and Mike Hart.
- All players currently on PUP are expected to be ready by the start of the regular season.
- Caldwell did not list Ryan Lilja as being on the PUP. He is expected to practice Monday, just like everyone else.
Start getting excited folks!