Football season is here. The 2014 NFL season officially opened up tonight with the Hall of Fame game between the Giants and Bills, and even though it was just a preseason game, it felt great to actually be watching football again.
Also tonight, I received the first of the weekly press releases from the Colts for their first game at the New York Jets this Thursday, yet another sign that football is near. Of course, the first thing I turned to in the press release was the depth chart, as it's the first time we've had it in writing. So here is the first unofficial depth chart from the Colts for the 2014 season. Keep in mind, this will change often in the coming weeks.
WR: 1) Reggie Wayne; 2) Hakeem Nicks; 3) Da'Rick Rogers; 4) Josh Lenz; 5) Eric Thomas; 6) Nu'Keese Richardson
LT: 1) Anthony Castonzo; 2) Joe Reitz; 3) Ulrick John
LG: 1) Jack Mewhort; 2) Chad Anderson; 3) Eric Pike
C: 1) Khaled Holmes; 2) Jonotthan Harrison; 3) FN Lutz
RG: 1) Hugh Thornton; 2) Lance Louis; 3) Josh Walker
RT: 1) Gosder Cherilus; 2) Xavier Nixon; 3) Matt Hall
TE: 1) Dwayne Allen; 2) Coby Fleener; 3) Jack Doyle; 4) Weslye Saunders; 5) Erik Swoope
WR: 1) T.Y. Hilton; 2) Donte Moncrief; 3) Griff Whalen; 4) Tony Washington; 5) Ryan Lankford
QB: 1) Andrew Luck; 2) Matt Hasselbeck; 3) Chandler Harnish
FB: 1) Mario Harvey; 2) Cameron White; 3) Stanley Havili
RB: 1) Trent Richardson; 2) Ahmad Bradshaw; 3) Daniel Herron; 4) Zurlon Tipton; 5) Phillip Tanner; 6) Davin Meggett
DE: 1) Cory Redding; 2) Ricky Jean Francois; 3) Tyler Hoover
NT: 1) Josh Chapman; 2) Montori Hughes; 3) Brandon McKinney
DT: 1) Arthur Jones; 2) Jeris Pendleton; 3) Zach Kerr; 4) Nnamdi Obukwelu
SLB: 1) Erik Walden; 2) Jonathan Newsome; 3) Andy Studebaker
Mike: 1) D'Qwell Jackson; 2) Kelvin Sheppard; 3) Andrew Jackson
Will: 1) Jerrell Freeman; 2) Josh McNary; 3) Henoc Muamba; 4) Jonathon Sharpe
Rush: 1) Robert Mathis; 2) Bjoern Werner; 3) Cam Johnson; 4) Daniel Adongo
LCB: 1) Greg Toler; 2) Josh Gordy; 3) Sheldon Price; 4) Johnny Adams; 5) Loucheiz Purifoy
SS: 1) Delano Howell; 2) Mike Adams; 3) Colt Anderson; 4) Dewey McDonald
FS: 1) LaRon Landry; 2) Sergio Brown; 3) David Sims
RCB: 1) Vontae Davis; 2) Darius Butler; 3) Marcus Burley; 4) Qua Cox; 5) Kameron Jackson
P: 1) Pat McAfee
K: 1) Adam Vinatieri; 2) Cody Parkey
H: 1) Pat McAfee; 2) Griff Whalen
LS: 1) Matt Overton
KR: 1) Donte Moncrief; 2) Daniel Herron
PR: 1) T.Y. Hilton; 2) Griff Whalen
A few thoughts...
- If you are surprised by anything listed above, that basically means that you haven't been reading what I've been writing the past couple of weeks. Everything from the receivers to the fullbacks to the kick and punt returners, I have mentioned it all enough that you should get an idea of things.
- Furthermore, this depth chart (the first one) is always weighted a lot toward players with experience and who have been around. In other words, with this being the first depth chart, this really isn't as updated with battles and stuff like that. This is just the basic depth chart to start things off, and then we'll go from there.
- There were only a few real things to note that I thought, and they were these: one, that Lance Louis was listed as second team right guard instead of left guard behind Mewhort. This doesn't mean he wouldn't fill in for Mewhort, but rather I think this shows where the team would most like to play Louis at, and that's right guard. Plus, I don't think the team is as confident in Hugh Thornton as many (including myself) initially thought they were, but that's just the feeling I get and I could be wrong.
- Secondly, I think it's interesting that Mario Harvey is listed as the first team fullback over Stanley Havili, but I have a strong feeling that Havili might jump him back to first team on the depth chart when he returns. If he doesn't get back soon, however, I think Harvey might really jump him, in both the depth chart and real life.
- I love that Jonathan Newsome is the second team outside linebacker. He's been working there some in camp and I have been really impressed. Great to see him crack the two-deep.