The preseason is now officially over. With that comes the end of the extended offseason rosters for NFL teams.
In the offseason, rosters are expanded to 90-players, providing more opportunities for players, more chance for competition, the ability to rest starters, and good depth. After the third preseason game, the rosters are cut down to 75 players. For the fourth preseason game, then, the teams play with their 75-man roster but often resting most of the starters. That was certainly true of the Colts against the Bengals. Then by this Saturday, teams must have their rosters cut down from 75-players to 53, which is the number the roster remains at for the duration of the season.
The cuts have began to come in, but it's important to note that just because someone makes this 53-man roster doesn't mean they're going to be on the roster for week one. I always feel the worst for those guys, but some of the bottom players on the 53-man roster will be cut once the Colts look at players from other team's cuts (such as offensive linemen).
Here are the Colts moves:
CB Marcus Burley - traded to Seahawks for a sixth round pick in 2015
QB Chandler Harnish
DL Gannon Conway
RB David Fluellen
OL Matt Hall - waived-injured, will revert to team's IR if clears waivers
OL/DL Tyler Hoover
S Delano Howell - waived-injured, will revert to team's IR if clears waivers
LB Phillip Hunt
LB Andrew Jackson
WR Ryan Lankford
WR Josh Lenz
C FN Lutz
S Dewey McDonald
DL Brandon McKinney
DL Nnamdi Obukwelu
CB Sheldon Price
LB Rob Ruggiero
TE Weslye Saunders
TE Erik Swoope
LB Kelvin Sheppard
Also note that Robert Mathis does not count toward the 53-man roster as he is suspended for the first four weeks. We'll have more info and analysis on these cuts later as the day goes on, so keep checking back to the site.
- Notable that the Colts only are keeping three tight ends. I'd think Erik Swooope is a very likely practice squad candidate.
- I think the same of Chandler Harnish, Andrew Jackson, Dewey McDonald - all are no-brainer practice squad candidates.
- Delano Howell's neck injury must be pretty serious, as he is going to IR (unless claimed). Hope he heals up - and Matt Hall, too.
- Ryan Grigson has turned yet another undrafted free agent into a trade. Great move getting a pick for Marcus Burley - and still having Loucheiz Purifoy around as the fifth corner, too.
- The Colts are keeping three centers: Khaled Holmes, Jonotthan Harrison, and Thomas Austin.
- Da'Rick Rogers made the team as the sixth receiver.
- Zurlon Tipton made the team as the fourth running back.
- Fullback Mario Harvey also made the team.