With their second third round pick of the evening (number 93 overall), the Indianapolis Colts selected Stanford defensive end Henry Anderson.
This is a very good pick for the Colts. Anderson is a phenomenal fit in the 3-4 defense and should really excel in the scheme for the Colts. In many ways, this could be considered a steal. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock's instant reaction on NFL Network should be a good indication, as he exclaimed, "yeah!" as soon as the pick was announced, raving about how it was a good pick.
He played all over the defensive line at Stanford, but it's expected that he'll play mainly the five-technique with the Colts. He's a good pass rusher, and if he adds some weight (he's 6-6, 295 pounds) he could develop the power that could make him a force up front.
As a fifth-year senior in 2014, he was named a honorable mention All-American by SI.com, was an All-Pac 12 first-team, and a Pac-12 All-Academic first team. He recorded 65 tackles (15 for loss), 8.5 sacks, and two pass breakups in 2014.
Here's what our own Andrew Aziz had to say about Anderson in his draft guide (available for purchase here):
Anderson is a hard working player with a very good frame. He fights to disengage and gets past his opponents. He uses his hands well and he has a good repertoire of moves, which shows his intelligence. He was used in a few different positions, showing good versatility. He has room to grow and he must get stronger in the NFL. He also needs to start playing with a better base, because he has some balance issues and is on the ground too often.
Overall, Anderson has starter potential, but must work on his athleticism and his strength. At least he possesses good skills and intelligence.
NFL Ceiling: Average Starting Defensive Tackle
NFL Draft Projection: 4th Round - 5th Round
Here are the Colts' picks in the draft:
- First Round - 29th overall pick - Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
- Third Round - 65th overall pick (from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - D'Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic
- Third Round - 93rd overall pick - Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford
- Fourth Round - 109th overall pick (from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- Fifth Round - 165th overall pick
- Sixth Round - 204th overall pick
- Sixth Round - 206th overall pick (from the Seattle Seahawks)
- Seventh Round - 244th overall pick (from the Dallas Cowboys)
- Seventh Round - 255th overall pick (compensatory pick)
Here are the Colts remaining needs (in no particular order):
- Running Back
- Offensive Lineman
- Defensive Lineman
- Inside Linebacker
- Pass Rusher