The Indianapolis Colts lost to the Chicago Bears on Saturday in their second preseason game by a score of 23-11. During the most meaningful period of the game, however, as the starters saw action, the Colts outplayed Chicago. At halftime the Colts led11-9, while when Andrew Luck left the game the Colts had an 8-6 lead.
The starters looked, for the most part, pretty good for the Colts, and that's the important thing. But how much did those starters play? That's the question we're looking at right now, as we have the snap counts from yesterday's game for both the offense and defense (with a few notes to follow):
- Two offensive linemen, Kitt O'Brien and Denzelle Good, tied for the most snaps played by a Colts' offensive player, the second straight week in which Good topped the list. The rookie is playing a lot of snaps this preseason.
- For the first time since September 8, 2013, Vick Ballard was back on the field for the Indianapolis Colts. He played just eight snaps and received just two carries as the Colts are surely taking it slowly with him and not rushing him back too quickly, but it was great to see him return to the field regardless.
- Frank Gore made his Colts debut, playing four snaps. The veteran doesn't need preseason work and hasn't seen much of it over the past few years, and that will likely continue with the Colts (as it should). But on Saturday, Gore played four snaps, received two carries, and gained ten yards. Not a bad night for a preseason game.
- Here are number of snaps played on Saturday for each the "starters" in the game: Frank Gore (4), Andrew Luck (18), T.Y. Hilton (18), Andre Johnson (18), Anthony Castonzo (18), Khaled Holmes (19), Jack Doyle (22), Dwayne Allen (24), Lance Louis (28), Todd Herremans (28), Jack Mewhort (28).
- Rookie Clayton Geathers played the most snaps of any Colts defender (and any Colts player period), and the second-most went to rookie D'Joun Smith. Both players really could use the work as they adjust to the NFL (particularly Smith who only played a few snaps last week before suffering a concussion), so it's great to see them getting a lot of playing time in the preseason.
- Here are the number of snaps for each defensive "starter" on Saturday night: Vontae Davis (9), Josh Chapman (18), D'Qwell Jackson (18), Greg Toler (20), Dwight Lowery (21), Kendall Langford (22), Arthur Jones (22), Erik Walden (24), Jerrell Freeman (24), Trent Cole (24), Mike Adams (27).