Colts head coach Chuck Pagano provided an update this morning on the status of quarterback Andrew Luck, saying that Luck remains in the concussion protocol and will meet with an independent neurologist this afternoon.
What that means is that the Colts should know by today whether Luck indeed clears the protocol or not, and there’s no reason at this point to think he won’t. He missed last Thursday’s game with a concussion, but he has progressed through the protocol since then, being a limited participant in Monday’s practice and then returning to be a full participant on Wednesday. He was limited on Thursday, but it was likely due to his shoulder issue that the team has been managing all year. The final step for Luck to pass before he’s officially cleared from the concussion protocol is to be cleared by an independent neurologist, and that meeting will come this afternoon.
If there was any doubt about the team’s optimism regarding Luck being cleared, it should be erased due to the fact the Colts waived Stephen Morris yesterday. That leaves just Luck and Scott Tolzien on the active roster, which means that it should return to Luck as the starter and Tolzien as the backup on Monday night.
Safety Clayton Geathers is in a similar situation with his concussion and should likely be cleared soon as well, but Pagano said today that the safety is also dealing with a neck injury that is separate from the concussion. So that neck injury is something to watch, as Pagano said it’s too early to tell whether he’ll be able to play Monday night.