The Indianapolis Colts have made their roster cuts to get down to 53 players, and the moves contained some surprises. Nate Irving, Earl Okine, and Trevor Bates were among the players cut, but what about the guys who stuck around?
We’ve put together an updated depth chart for the Colts, but keep in mind that this isn’t an official one from the team. That means that the specific positions or where guys are in the position order shouldn’t be paid attention to as much as the players who made the roster.
And, as always, this is subject to change even in the next 24 hours as the Colts look at players cut from other teams, but here’s the initial 53-man roster for the Colts ((+) denotes an injured player):
WR: T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett, Chester Rogers, Quan Bray
LT: Anthony Castonzo
LG: Jack Mewhort (+), Joe Haeg (+)
C: Ryan Kelly, Jonotthan Harrison, Austin Blythe
RG: Denzelle Good
RT: Joe Reitz, Le’Raven Clark
TE: Dwayne Allen, Jack Doyle, Erik Swoope, Chase Coffman
QB: Andrew Luck, Scott Tolzien, Stephen Morris
RB: Frank Gore, Robert Turbin, Jordan Todman, Josh Ferguson
- As you’ll note, the Colts kept four tight ends. It’s not surprising that they kept Erik Swoope, but it’s somewhat surprising that they kept Chase Coffman. Both players had impressive preseasons, but it was expected the team would only keep three tight ends. Does this mean that Dwayne Allen’s hip injury is more serious than we thought? Perhaps, but it’s more likely that the team wanted to keep extra tight ends due to some of the questions along the offensive line.
- The Colts also kept four running backs, keeping both Jordan Todman and Josh Ferguson. The latter is a bit of a surprise, even though the Colts really like Ferguson. It will be interesting to see whether he sticks around, but it has to be an encouraging sign for him at least for now.
- You’ll also see that this depth chart only lists players at one position. So while I have Jonotthan Harrison at center, he’s likely the starting left guard for now while Mewhort and Haeg are hurt. The offensive line lacks some depth, though, with those two guys dealing with injuries.
- Also... three quarterbacks. The team really liked Stephen Morris’s performance, but I didn’t think they had enough roster flexibility to keep three guys there. This is one to keep an eye on as the Colts look to add other players.
DE: Kendall Langford (+), Zach Kerr
NT: David Parry, T.Y. McGill
DT: Henry Anderson (+), Hassan Ridgeway
OLB: Erik Walden, Curt Maggitt
Mike: D’Qwell Jackson, Josh McNary
Will: Sio Moore (+), Antonio Morrison, Edwin Jackson
Rush: Robert Mathis, Trent Cole
CB: Vontae Davis (+), Patrick Robinson, Antonio Cromartie, Darius Butler, Jalil Brown, Frankie Williams
SS: Mike Adams, Winston Guy
FS: T.J. Green, Clayton Geathers (+)
- The linebacker position is the most surprising. Not only did the Colts release Nate Irving; they also cut Earl Okine and Trevor Bates. That leaves very little depth at outside linebacker, meaning that there’s the possibility of another addition being made there.
- At cornerback, Frankie Williams made the roster to provide some depth while the injuries are taken care of. The undrafted free agent really had an impressive preseason, so the move isn’t entirely surprising.
P: Pat McAfee
K: Adam Vinatieri
LS: Matt Overton