Sports Illustrated recently posted a hypothetical draft of the greatest players and coaches in NFL history. The main idea of the draft was to build the best team possible with each roster containing twenty-five players, and one coach. Twelve “team owners” were tasked with carrying out this process, one owner being former Colts general manager Bill Polian.
Some of the selections were nothing short of terrible but the Colts were treated well for the most part. Johnny Unitas was the first quarterback taken with the third selection in the draft. Seventeen selections later Peyton Manning’s name was called. Here is a complete list of the Colts players selected:
- Round 1, pick 3: Johnny Unitas - QB, Baltimore Colts, 1956-1973.
- Round 2, pick 14: Gino Marchetti - DE, Baltimore Colts, 1953-1964, 1966.
- Round 2, pick 20: Peyton Manning - QB, Indianapolis Colts, 1998-2011.
- Round 2, pick 24: Lenny Moore - RB, Baltimore Colts, 1956-1967.
- Round 5, pick 50: Ted Hendricks - LB, Baltimore Colts, 1969.
- Round 5, pick 56: Raymond Berry - WR, Baltimore Colts, 1955-1967.
- Round 6, pick 62: Jim Parker - T, Baltimore Colts , 1957-1967.
- Round 6, pick 65: Marshall Faulk - RB, Indianapolis Colts, 1994-1998.
- Round 7, pick 84: John Mackey - TE, Baltimore Colts, 1963-1971.
- Round 8, pick 94: Richard Dent - DE, Indianapolis Colts, 1996.
- Round 9, pick 100: Joe Perry - RB, Baltimore Colts, 1961-1962.
- Round 11, pick 122: Eric Dickerson - RB, Indianapolis Colts, 1987-1981.
- Round 16, pick 186: Joe Klecko - DT, Indianapolis Colts, 1988.
- Round 17, pick 195: Gene Lipscomb - DT, Baltimore Colts, 1957-1960.
- Round 17, pick 200: Cornelius Bennett - LB, Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2000.
- Round 17, pick 204: Art Donovan - DT, Baltimore Colts, 1950, 1953-1961.
- Round 20, pick 233: Marvin Harrison - WR, Indianapolis Colts, 1996-2008
- Round 20, pick 235: Hardy Brown - WC/LB, Baltimore Colts, 1950.
- Round 22, pick 261: Adam Vinatieri - K, Indianapolis Colts, 2006 - Present
- Round 24, pick 277: Matt Stover - K, Indianapolis Colts, 2009.
- Round 26, pick 303: Tony Dungy - Coach, Indianapolis Colts, 2002-2008.
- Round 26, pick 305: Don Shula - Coach, Baltimore Colts, 1963-1969.
(To view a complete list of the picks click here)
If you’re a true Colts fan the first reaction probably was: How did Jim Sorgi the real number twelve get snubbed? Okay maybe not...While there are valid arguments that some players should have been taken higher, I felt like there were no glaring snubs for the Colts. Twenty-two players in all, ten of which being Indianapolis Colts, and the remaining coming from the Baltimore era.
Despite having no value, this draft shows the Colts have fielded plenty of great player throughout franchise history. Fans of the team can only expect this list to grow as the current team finds their way through growing pains and continues to add young talent. Here is to the future!