By 4:00pm ET on Saturday, the Indianapolis Colts and the rest of the NFL will have their rosters chopped down to 53 players from 90.
You will see this come in the form of players being released, waived, waived-injured, directly placed on Injured Reserve and trades. Colts safety Clayton Geathers, for example, will remain on the Physically Unable to Perform list, removing him from the roster for at least the first six weeks of the regular season.
If this time of year confuses you, get caught up here on how the NFL waiver wire works.
On Sunday, teams will begin constructing their practice squads.
Colts 2017 Preseason Roster Cuts
- (09/01) RB Josh Ferguson was waived-injured. According to Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle, Ferguson has a rib injury that is expected to keep him out 3-4 weeks. If he clears waivers, he will revert to the Colts’ IR list. You can probably expect the Colts to release him from IR with an injury settlement.
- (09/02) ProFootballTalk reports that the Colts have released ILB Sean Spence. This will free up an additional 1.25M in cap space for the Colts this year but they forfeit his $750 signing bonus. Here is our story about the cut.
- (09/02) Tom Pelissero reports that the Colts have waived undrafted rookie QB Phillip Walker.
- (09/02) Stephen Holder reports that the Colts have waived offensive lineman Andrew Wylie.
- (09/02) Stephen Holder reports that undrafted rookie wide receiver Bug Howard has been waived. He was a borderline roster guy for a lot of people after receiving a ton of reps in training camp. It would not be surprising to see him as a priority for the Colts practice squad.
- (09/02) Not a cut, but most definitely noteworthy: According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the Colts have traded wide receiver Phillip Dorsett to the New England Patriots in exchange for second-year quarterback Jacoby Brissett. The trade certainly makes it seem less likely that quarterback Andrew Luck will be available soon.
- (09/02) According to Tom Pelissero, the Indianapolis Colts have released veteran outside linebacker Akeem Ayers. This is another surprising move given that he did some positive things in preseason games and the Colts are desperately short-handed at outside linebacker.
- (09/02) Per Stephen Holder of The Indianapolis Star, the Colts have waived preseason star JoJo Natson. He was outstanding at times for the Colts, leading them in receiving yards (180), kickoff return yards (155) and punt return yards (63), but he fumbled three times in the preseason finale on Thursday.
- First reported by NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Colts have officially taken quarterback Andrew Luck off of the physically unable to perform list. He is still unlikely to play Week 1, however, as this will be his first official practice time since December.
- (09/02) The full list of the Colts cuts:
- There are actually not many surprises here other than the things we’ve already covered today. The most notable cuts are DT T.Y. McGill, DT David Parry and ILB Edwin Jackson. Between CB Chris Culliver and CB Corey White, it seemed as if the Colts’ banged-up secondary would be welcoming one of them on-board.
- The Colts also announced that starting safety Clayton Geathers was placed on the regular season PUP list, putting him out for the first six weeks of the season. This was already a known move.
Stay up to date here with all of the Colts’ roster cuts.