For the second time, Edgerrin James, the greatest running back in Colts history, has been named one of the 15 modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018. He has the distinction of being the only running back to advance as a finalist in the 2018 class. The Hall of Fame Selection Committee will meet February 3, 2018, to elect the five players who will be formally enshrined in Canton.
James was statistically incredible, playing 11 seasons in total. He spent 7 of those with Indianapolis, and over the course of his career, amassed 12,246 rushing yards, 15.610 yards from scrimmage, and was named to 4 Pro Bowls.
Part of the “triplets” with Manning and Harrison, James made his mark on the franchise and the fanbase. “Edge” leads the Colts franchise in career rushing yards (9,226), rushing touchdowns (64), rushing yards per game average (96.1), rushing yards in a single season (1,709 in 2000) and most seasons with 1,000+ rushing yards (5).
Is this the year that James makes the cut and finds his way into the hall of fame? To be elected a player must receive a minimum vote of 80 percent during the selection meeting, and Harrison had to wait his turn before getting in last year himself. He would certainly be deserving of the honor, but only time will tell if this is his year.
The list of finalists is as follows:
- Ray Lewis, LB - 1996-2012 Baltimore Ravens
- Brian Urlacher, LB - 2000-2012 Chicago Bears
- Edgerrin James, RB - 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
- Randy Moss, WR - 1998-2004, 2010 Minnesota Vikings, 2005-06 Oakland Raiders, 2007-2010 New England Patriots, 2010 Tennessee Titans, 2012 San Francisco 49ers
- Terrell Owens, WR - 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals
- Isaac Bruce, WR - 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
- John Lynch, FS - 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Brian Dawkins, S - 1996-2008 Philadelphia Eagles, 2009-2011 Denver Broncos
- Everson Walls, CB - 1981-89 Dallas Cowboys, 1990-92 New York Giants, 1992-93 Cleveland Browns
- Ty Law, CB - 1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos
- Tony Boselli, T - 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)
- Kevin Mawae, C/G - 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans
- Joe Jacoby, T - 1981-1993 Washington Redskins
- Steve Hutchinson, G - 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans
- Alan Faneca, G - 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals.