The departure of Colts assistant coaches continues today as news comes out that Gary Emanuel, the Colts’ defensive line coach will take up the same role with the Giants as a part of Pat Shurmur’s coaching staff.
Source tells @SportingNews that @Giants are set to add Lou Anarumo (defensive backs), Bill McGovern (linebackers) and Gary Emanuel (defensive line) to Pat Shurmur's coaching staff.— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) January 25, 2018
Despite a defense that performed poorly in key moments, Emanuel coached a defensive line this season that had a significantly higher level of effectiveness against the run than in years past. While he was hamstrung by poor depth and injuries, he was able to get good production out of Al Woods, Johnathan Hankins, Henry Anderson, and Margus Hunt after Anderson’s injury.
Emanuel was a part of the Colts staff that came on with Pagano in 2012 in his first opportunity to coach at the NFL level. His departure along with all the other hires around the league of Colts position coaches is a reminder of just how different the coaching staff will look heading into the new season.
Other Colts coaches who have left so far this offseason:
- OL coach/Assistant HC Joe Philbin to Packers
- Tight Ends Coach Jim Hostler to Packers
- Asst. Special Teams coach Maurice Drayton to Packers
- Offensive Asst./Asst. QB Coach Tim Berbenich to Raiders
- RB Coach Jemal Singleton to Raiders
- QB Coach Brian Schottenheimer to Seahawks
- WR Coach Sanjay Lal to Cowboys
- DB Coach Greg Williams to Broncos
- ST Coordinator Tom McMahon to Broncos