On October 6, 2019 the Indianapolis Colts will travel to Kansas City to take on the Chiefs. In this Week 5 match-up I sought to understand our opponent and get a better idea of how they may attack our Colts.
Since moving to Indianapolis the Colts are 13-5 against the Chiefs, which includes a 4-1 record in the playoffs. Unfortunately the Chiefs have a very real chance to even that record over the next decade and they will likely start this weekend.
Let’s figure out what we can expect in Week 5.
For his career Harrison Butker has made 90% of his field goal attempts and 96% on extra point tries (both numbers rounded up). This season Butker has missed both an extra point and a field goal, though neither are particularly concerning. Butker is a very good kicker and should be for a long time. If by some miracle this game comes down to field goals the Chiefs could do far worse than Harrison Butker.
Dustin Colquitt has attempted 10 punts so far this season. This Chiefs team has scored on 23 drives so far in 2019... compared to 10 punts. That’s more than double, folks.
If Dustin Colquitt has a major impact in this game it will be further proof that we’re living in a simulation and it has broken.
So that’s a picture of Mecole Hardman and while he might return a put or kick this weekend I expect to see more from De’Anthony Thomas and Byron Pringle. All three of these men has the explosion and ability to score on special teams. Again, I don’t believe special teams will impact this game in a major way but it wouldn’t be shocking to see the Chiefs break off a couple long returns even if Tyreek Hill doesn’t play.
Final Thoughts for The Week:
Things I’m hoping for this weekend:
- I had a guy offer me free tickets, I had not planned on going to this game for a lot of reasons, but free tickets are free tickets. I hope he comes through. Sir Sci get with me, I might take you up on your offer after all.
- Everyone makes it out of this game healthy, for both teams. Normally I say this and if I’m being honest it’s mostly an empty phrase. Sure I hope the opponent leaves the game healthy but I actually care that the Colts do. I’m hoping for an injury free game even more in this one due to the fact that the Colts desperately need to get healthy over the bye and the Chiefs may be the AFC’s only hope to take out the Patriots in the postseason this year. Hate them this week and pull for them when it counts.
- I hope the Colts keep the Chiefs under 50. 40 points is embarrassing enough but the Chiefs have the firepower and the Colts have been mediocre enough on defense for it to happen.
- I hope I’m more wrong than I’ve ever been.
- Jacoby Brissett sets a new career high for yards in a game.
- The Colts will finish with 150+ rushing yards.
- After the bye week these Colts emerge as a playoff caliber team.
- Final Score: