The 2019 preseason has come to an end. Teams now have until 4 PM ET on Saturday, August 31st to cut their rosters down to 53. Expect the the following 24 hours will be filled with additional roster moves as players hit waivers. There may still be some trade activity ahead of the deadline as well.
Here is my final stab at what could be the Colts initial 2019 53-man roster.
J(2) QB - Jacoby Brissett, FA (Chad Kelly returns Week 3)
(4) RB - Marlon Mack, Nyheim Hines, Jonathan Williams, Jordan Wilkins
(6) WR - T.Y. Hilton, Devin Funchess, Parris Campbell, Deon Cain, Chester Rogers, Zach Pascal
(4) TE - Eric Ebron, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, Hale Hentges
(8) OL - Anthony Castonzo, Quenton Nelson, Ryan Kelly, Mark Glowinski, Braden Smith, Joe Haeg, Josh Andrews, Le’Raven Clark
(10) DL - Justin Houston, Denico Autry, Margus Hunt, Jabaal Sheard, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Kemoko Turay, Grover Stewart, Tyquan Lewis, Ben Banogu, Jihad Ward
(6) LB - Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker, Matthews Adams, Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed, Zaire Franklin
(6) CB - Pierre Desir, Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore, Quincy Wilson, Marvell Tell III, Chris Milton
(4) S - Malik Hooker, Clayton Geathers, Khari Willis, George Odum
(1) P - Rigoberto Sanchez
(1) K - Adam Vinatieri
(1) LS - Luke Rhodes
Practice Squad: Phillip Walker, Aca’Cedric Ware, Krishawn Hogan, Penny Hart, Ross Travis, Jackson Barton, Jalen Collins, Gerri Green, Kai Nacua, Sterling Shippy
I think there is a real chance that the Colts end up adding someone on the offensive line through trade or the waiver process. I entered the off-season and draft process feeling really good about the depth but the preseason took away that confidence. I also think that running back is worth monitoring. I don’t know the health status of Williams and Wilkins enough to determine whether the Colts might place a player on IR or be forced to move on from one of them due to a numbers game — if so, I expect Charcandrick West to sneak his way onto the roster.
I feel really good about the following positions: WR, TE, LB, CB, S, P, LS. I feel like we’ll need to continue monitoring or potentially add players at QB, RB, OL, DL, K (Vinny will actually retire at some point).
Where would you make changes?